Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Welding feet to a compressor tank

On Sep 29, 5:47 pm, Don Foreman wrote:

snip

I don't know. Some might be. I knew a boilermaker who made big tanks
out of 5/8" steel plate that he pressure tested to 200 PSI. I'm sure
he didn't heat treat them. These suckers were 8 or 10 feet in
diameter. Tawk about a slip roll! They were stick-welded. Rollers
turned the tank as it was being welded, the welder just held the
stick and watched the puddle. He could probably control the roller
speed, but that probably didn't change once set to his satisfaction.

Interesting. A while back I was talking to a guy who was welding the
tyres of railway wagon wheels as part of a repair process. He said he
tried welding them by putting the wheelset in a huge lathe and setting
it turning very slowly, but that it was actually not a great deal of
help. He said it was much harder than it looked to lay a bead at
precisely the same speed as the wheel turned, so instead he preferred
to weld a section with the wheel stationary, then rotate the wheel
before continuing. He did an exceptionally neat job too; you couldn't
see the restarts.

Best wishes,

Chris