Paul K. Dickman

Default Is this "gold chain" fake?

I took a look at the pictures.

The 14k stamp on the tab appears to be machine done.

Now, these ends can be obtained prestamped, but are actually made of 14k. In
the pictures, both the chain tip and the clasp are discolored to the same
extent as the rest of the chain.

Most fakes I've seen have either a poorly stamped mark or are a cheap chain
with a 14k tag and clasp.

Either this was produced by a highly organized bunch of fakers, or something
else is the problem.

You haven't been wearing this in a hottub or swimming pool, have you?

Paul K. Dickman

Ignoramus27444 wrote in message ...
I asked this question in another newsgroup, but decided to also ask
here, since there is a bunch of experts who can probably give some
good input.

I received a "gold chain" as a birthday present, two months ago. Since
then, the chain has discolored in ways that made me suspect that it is
not real gold. It is stamped "14K Italy".

For very high quality scans (including enlarged pictures) of the chain,
see

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gold-chain/

(click on the thumbnail images to enlarge).

Can this possibly be gold?

I am going to sam's club tonight and will ask their jeweler also.

I think that the person who gave me this present got screwed.

-
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}" ;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);

}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."