Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] robert@invalid.invalid is offline

Default Correct position of thermostat for central heating

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:22:26 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
.. .
just moved to a "new" house.

Rads have TRV's ..... There is a wall thermostat in the hall at bottom
of the stairs ... and NO radiator.

So ......... if I set the hall thermostat to 20deg and I wish the
other rooms to be the same temperature (20 deg) with doors shut, I can
control rooms with TRV's .... right ?

So what happens when the rooms reach 20deg? I assume the TRV's shut
the water feed to the rads.

So what is happening in the hall and the upstairs landing space etc ?
Hot air rises so will the boiler keep grinding away until it is 20deg
is reached at the bottom of the stairs from the top ? I do not really
want it that warm up there.

If I set the thermostat lower .... then the rooms will not reach 20deg
... methinks.

Is the thermostat in the right place ?

Clearly not. It should be in the main room whose temperature you want to
control, usually the lounge. You'd also want one rad in there without a TRV
to act as the master rad.

And if you dont have a main room the single thermostat will be a pain
if used "correctly". A bit of sun on one side of the house and a cold
wind blowing on the other can also play havoc with this type of
control. Not sure what the alternatives are if you are trying to
minimise boiler cycling ??
Robert