Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Installing HALO Hi-Hats for 3/8 sheetrock ceiling suggestions

Unfortunately Halo uses a fixed 1/2" ring, unlike Lightolier which uses a
flat ring. Screw the frame in place and lock the leg screw, I'd also tightly
tape the leg overlaps together, then with the butt of the hammer, gently
punch the entire frame up slightly. As the trims of standard halo fixtures
use coil springs pulling downward on the frame, it would be a good idea to
stick a few shims in the gap you will have between the sheetrock and the
frame

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to use 3/8 sheetrock for my kitchen ceiling to match an
adjacent dining room ceiling. I was ready to install some Hi-Hats in
my ceiling, but the brackets are designed to go under the ceiling
joists, leaving the depth of the hi-hat for 1/2" sheetrock. This
obviously will not work for me, so does anyone have any suggestions
how to modify the bracket to accomodate 3/8 sheetrock? I was thinking
install the hi-hat first, then bang the bracket upwards a few times to
get the 3/8 depth I need, but maybe theres a better way to go about it.