Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default making new sliding pump vanes

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 04:56:24 -0700, wrote:

Ned,

I made vanes for a DoAll bandsaw blower from canvas phenolic material.
There were 4 vanes about 2'x2' My stock machined rough and fuzzy
so I made the vanes a little oversized and lapped them dry with fine
wet
or dry paper on a flat surface. I got a nice close fit in the rotor
slots
and the vanes turned out dark and shiny. They worked fine.

Your 6 vanes are bigger so it would be more work but it can be done.

Regards, Charlie

Coincidentally, I've also had the air pump on my 1948 DoAll ML apart.
It was several years ago, but as I recall the vanes appeared to be
some sort of carbon or graphite composite. The pump wasn't working
because the dust from the vanes wearing was interfering with the
vanes' fit in the rotor. I cleaned it up, put it back together, and
it's still working fine. Pretty good for a 60 year old saw.

--
Ned Simmons