Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Correct position of thermostat for central heating

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
just moved to a "new" house.

Rads have TRV's ..... There is a wall thermostat in the hall at bottom
of the stairs ... and NO radiator.

So ......... if I set the hall thermostat to 20deg and I wish the
other rooms to be the same temperature (20 deg) with doors shut, I can
control rooms with TRV's .... right ?

So what happens when the rooms reach 20deg? I assume the TRV's shut
the water feed to the rads.

So what is happening in the hall and the upstairs landing space etc ?
Hot air rises so will the boiler keep grinding away until it is 20deg
is reached at the bottom of the stairs from the top ? I do not really
want it that warm up there.

If I set the thermostat lower .... then the rooms will not reach 20deg
... methinks.

No, because the hall is unheated. If you set the hall thermostat to 16deg
say the rooms would *probably* get to TRV temp because there will be
temperature gradient between the hall and each room. The hall stat is
really just a crude way of reducing boiler cycling.

Is the thermostat in the right place ?

There is not a straightforward answer to your question but its a common
arrangemnet. To control all rooms by TRV requires the boiler to be on
permanently which leads to wasteful cycling. Possibly you are
suggesting the stat should be the living room. That gives you good
control of living room temperature but unsatisfactory control of the heat
to the other rooms. On balance the hall is as good a place as any for a
simple system. If its not a programmeable stat consider upgrading to
one.

Jim A

I would have thought that a Wireless Stat would be the solution then it can
easily be put in the lounge without disturbing the wiring.