Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default soss hinge PC plunge router

wrote:
I tried to use my Porter Cable 89* plunge router to make soss hinge
mortices today, with very dissapointing results. I have alot of
WWing experience (25+ years), but I do not have much experience
with plunge routers. These results were totally unacceptable.
Too much slop in the plunge base. These hinges are 1/2" X 2 3/8".
I was using a 1/2" bit with a 3/4" guide in an mdf template.
I ended up using the fixed base with the same template, plunging it
farmer style. The 24 mortices came out perfect.
I guess theres a reason the plunge base has been in a drawer the 2
years Ive owned this tool. The horrid thing wont see daylight again
for a long time in my shop.

It would have worked better with a 3/8" bit.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at