Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Anyone have a good scrap bin to scrounge from?

Hello all,

In the process of restoring the gigantic, ancient turret lathe I
recently aquired, I discovered that it's missing a pin on the
underside of the hex head that is used to index the machine to the
next station.

Basically, all I'm looking for is a peice of something tougher than
the mild steel I've got laying out in my forge, probably 4140 or a
little length of drill rod, that is .500 (preferably .003-.004"
oversized) and 1.4" long. I could go buy it, I'm sure, but the steel
supplier I use is a 45 minute drive each way, and I don't need
anything else right this minute. Don't want to wait until I need
something worth the drive to get it, either- it's the last thing that
needs doing on the turret end, and I want to get it back together so I
don't lose any parts.

If anyone has something that would be suitable, I'd be willing to pay
for it (within reason) and pay for shipping. If anyone is looking for
a little project, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for a pin with
some splines on the bottom inch and a 45 degree chamfer on the
non-spined end. Doesn't have to be aerospace quality, it's just
something for the turret saddle to push on to rotate the head. I'll
be pressing it in, if that matters.

I'll check back here to see if anyone has a little bit of scrap that
they'd be willing to ship, or if you happen to feel like doing a
little 15 minute one-off machining job, contact me at prometheus at
charter.net for dims and to negotiate a price for the it. It won't be
enough to retire off of, but I'm sure it'd at least be enough to buy a
burger or two.

If not, I suppose I can cut it off a hunk of the old punch tooling
I've got hidden under my bench and grind it to shape, but that just
seems like a rediculous amount of work for what this is.