Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Software recovery

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:12:48 -0400, Michael Kennedy wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old Seagate ST251 MFM drive that just croaked. While booting
up it made some horrendous "clacking" noises and now I get a drive
failure indication when booting up. It defaults and then I can boot
off a floppy and still get into C: (the first partition) The problem
and where my needed data is drive d and although the drive is there
doing a dir gets you a data error message. Scandisk can't touch it and
Norton says that the FAT is bad and only a low level format can
correct this. Well if I wanted to do a format I wouldn't be interested
in retrieving my data. The OS is DOS 6.2. Does anyone know of a good
utility that I can down load in DOS and that will work with DOS and
give me at least a prayer of getting my data back? And if its a free
utility all the better. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Am I the only person who is shocked that you still had one of these that
worked? What is this drive in a IBM PC AT?

Well anyhow I agree with what someone else suggested.. Try the old dos
norton, maybe it will work.

Mike

I have an old Seagate boat anchor up in the attic and an RLL controller
that still works AFAIK. Well it did work when it got stuck up there so no
reason why it wouldn't. Even have an old Everex 8088 PC that could host
that drive but I've no desire to mess with it.

Yeah I had loads of old 8088 era stuff.. I wish I had kept it now because
people seem to pay good money for things I threw away 10 years ago.. Oh
well.. I kept a few things out of it all. I've got some MFM and RLL hdd's
but I doubt they work. My favorite is the double decker 5.25" drive. I think
I will put it in my Athlon 3500+ just for fun.