Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Preventing Rain From Blowing Under A Garage Door

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:25:14 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I am posting this for a friend....he has a large shop with several
large roll up doors. When it rains heavily and the wind is blowing
into the doors, water will enter the shop under the rubber door
seal...lots of water.

Any suggestions as to how to prevent the water from entering?

A good rubber seal for the bottom of the door.

And a trench drain right in front of the door (within 6" if you can)
with the concrete under the door sloped towards it. So all that wind-
blown water falls in the trench drain and drains away before the door
seal has to deal with it.

If you plan on moving heavy gear in and out of the door, they make
trench drains with cast iron or cast steel grates that can take it.

We need to dig in a gravity drain for our front yard, and it has to
go right in front of the garage door. I plan to slow down and make it
a trench drain as it goes across the opening. Then all I have to do
is rent a concrete profile grinder to retroactively put the drain
slope on the lip of the garage slab past the door resting location...

-- Bruce --