Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Ladder for climbing roof

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ps.com...
I feel silly posting this question, but I have tried many times and
failed to step off the ladder on to the roof. The roof is only 8-ft
off the ground, and is dry and stable. However, taking that last step
off the ladder seems like an impossible task. Even worse, I am worried
about getting down. Searching for the step blindly by dangling one
foot off the roof seems like a sure recipe for disaster. I know it is
done all the time, but I can't figure out the logical sequence for
doing this. I am in good physical condition so that is not a factor.

Oh dear, do I know what you are talking about! I had to have a friend go up
on the roof for me whenever it was necessary. When he moved I figured I
would have to master it.

I threw a rope over the house and tied it to a tree, and went up anchored to
the rope so if I fell I wouldn't go far. (not sure how much good it would
do to the roof...) Anyhow, I found that getting on the roof wasn't all that
hard. Getting down was a bit harder, but not all that bad; if I had someone
to hold the ladder it would have been easy.

Biggest problem is fear itself. See if you can try the rope trick; I never
actually used the rope, but just the knowledge it was there made all the
difference.