Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spray rain water or collected condensate water on compressor to raise efficiency?

In article om,
BoyntonStu writes:

Andrew,

Thanks.

My 2 condensers produce about 2 gallons an hour of condensate.

Just trickle that down the the condensors as it's produced
(or find some way to atomize it and blow it in -- some
condensing boilers in the UK do that to get rid of the
condensate with the flue gases, but I've not seen how they do it).
Don't store the water at all. There are a number of portable
air conditioners which do that in the UK, and although it
helps with the efficiency, reducing or eliminating emptying
of the condensate tank is the main motivation.

My idea is to collect 10 gallons or so, activate a pump, and expel 10
gallons from the 55 gallon barrel, and replace with fresh condensate.

An algaecide/bacteriacide in the condenser pan would prevent bacteria
and algae formation.

AAMOF Algae slime is a MAJOR concern here in FL.

What do you use in the U.K. to prevent algae (and not damage the coils
etc.)?

I don't think it's necessary in an air conditioner which isn't
storing or recyling warm water.

I had a friend (now retired) who looked after the local parks
and fountains. It was an ongoing problem finding something they
could use in the fountains which prevented bacteria and algae,
was non-toxic when someone decided to drink the water from the
fountain, and didn't produce large amounts of foam.

--
Andrew Gabriel