Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Speaking of Celtic - secret box

My 23 year old daughter has always coveted my 'secret' box.
It's a box with a secret lock integrated into the design.

About a week ago I was cleaning mine, now over 30 years old, and she said
"Mom, I know this sounds kind of funny, but if anything ever happens to you,
I'd really like to have that box"

Back in the day I used it as a stash box.

So I asked myself, why wait?
She LOVES dragons so I went crawling around the web looking for ideas for
the dragon to put on top. Eventually I found a design that I could alter in
order to achieve what I was looking for. We're Irishmen, so I wanted that in
the design, and of course the dragons.

I have an OLD book shelf from back in the 20's or 30's that I scrounged up
several years ago in the hopes of loving it back to life. I have one that I
had already restored and thought that since this was a perfect match for it
that I would make them companion pieces. However this particular one had
been badly chewed by a big dog.

It's been too long in the storage mode of restoration. SO I made an
executive decision and I chose to use the wood from the shelves to make her
box. The shelves are just the right thickness.

So, here is what I have so far. I used my original box as the inspiration
piece and started carving the top.

Her birthday is on the 9th of October, I hope to have it finished by then.
--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
is a lot more fun in a Jeep!

Attached Thumbnails
Speaking of Celtic - secret box-box-top-2-jpg  Speaking of Celtic - secret box-box-top-1-jpg