Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] wattersmt@gmail.com is offline

Default Networking Question

On Sep 29, 7:38 am, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I have a 4 port Linksys router. Although it is probably 5 or 6 years old,
it still works great. I need more ports in the the house, and don't want to
go wireless.

Can I buy an 8 or 12 port switch, and connect it to the router?

If I do, will I still be at 100mpbs, or will I drop down to 10mpbs if I use
a switch?

Can I just run one wire from the router to the switch, and then have all my
connections go from the switch to the various wall outlets in the house?
I have a mess already, so I'd like to keep it fairly organized.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, just plug the switch into the router and everything should work.
Switched traffic always runs at full speed on each port so you'll have
100 mbit available.