Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default stuck set screw

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:46:30 -0500, spaco wrote:

snip
One other poster mentioned tapping on the wrench, (but not too hard) to
"jar" the screw threads. I like this one, too, but I go for hitting it
pretty hard. In order to do this though, you can't realy hit an L-
shaped "allen wrench" straight enough to do the job.
I cut one leg off the wrench so I can hit straight down. This, of
course means you'd have get an extra wrench. I'd cut off the old,
rounded wtench to use as the "driving" tool. Support the under side of
the pulley so you don't bend the shaft. If you are not an accurate
person, hold the one-legged wrench with a pair of vise grips. And, of
course, wear eye protection.

Pete Stanaitis

Pete..
I've done pretty much the same thing but used my hex drive allen bits for the
drill-driver... nice, big striking surface..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing