Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Replacing Rising Main?

None wrote:
On Sep 29, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 23:47, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 18:13, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:49, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:34, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:08, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 16:17, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 00:16, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:

snip

another snip

All the houses in the general area were built at the same time,
between 35 and 40 years ago. There are two stopcocks outside the
front gate; one that belongs to our house and one that belongs to
theirs. Our service pipe is of the black plastic variety, would
have been put in at the time when the house was built. As far as I
know they have the same pipe, but I could check. Our stopcock only
serves us, I am sure of that.

Hmm. This is a puzzler! You didn't mention whether your service pipe
is particularly lengthy by comparison with the others in the
neighbourhood - I'm guessing not. Your neighbour's connection to the
main is right beside yours so that whilst you my be on a balance
point in the system, if your neighbour is not experiencing the same
problem, it sounds like the issue does relate to your plumbing. Has
there been much re-plumbing in the house, are there dead legs of
redundant pipework that are filled with water?

Our service pipe would be about the same length as just about all of
the houses around. I don't think we have any unusual plumbing features
in the house; service pipe to kitchen sink and out to washing machine;
after the kitchen sink it goes up to the attic tank, then to the
upstairs and downstairs sinks/showers. When the water seems dirty up
in the taps upstairs (it only ever goes a faint yellow/green colour
when you it fills the basin, never brown or anything) and slimy etc,
it will be the same story at the kitchen mains tap. We have had the
house replumbed in certain parts due to getting some work done on the
house, but the problems were the same before. The water used to be a
lot worse though before I discovered 'flushing' both in the house and
on the road (by the water depot).

Late last night, I decided to do one of my irritating 'washing machine
flushes' like I explained in one of my recent posts. I let the water
loose at full whack (our pressure probably isnt that good, but still
decent) and also at the kitchen sink afterwards. This morning I then
let the hot water tap run until the system had drained and the
(hopefully) cleaner water came throughout the house. Lo and behold,
the water is now much improved. It won't last of course.

Is it really likely that we are on a 'balance point?' There are so
many houses on the road on both sides, and we are the fourth house on
one side of the road as you enter. We have been told explicitly that
we are not on a dead end either.

Depending on how the district is supplied, the whole of the street could
be on a balance point. The other poster's comments about chlorinating
your supply is unlikely to be of much use I'm afraid. If you've got a
biological film in the pipework then the solution is to remove that
rather than just "killing it"for a while. It must be physically removed
hence my comment about air scouring. I'd see if this was possible (and
potential cost) compared to replacing the swervice pipe as a first step.