Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default AEG washing macine - drum bearing change

"Part timer" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's DIY since I'm doing it myself:

Got a well-used AEG LAVAMAT 50630-W PNC 914 002 185 00 (1100/600rpm
spin) dating from 2001. Last couple of weeks the drum has become less
smooth during spinning. Removed rear cover and tell-tale rusty water
deposits were all over from leak behind the main pulley mounting. Read
up in Haynes Washing Machine Manual that the symptoms indicate main
drum bearing seal failure.
The outer (plastic) tub is in 2 halves, I need the rear half out to do
the work. Front (separated the door seal) and top have been removed to
gain access with an 8mm spanner to remove the screws holding the tub
halves together. Just need to obtain a LONG 8mm T-handle spanner to
get the last 2 screws out as no amount of conventional spanner
shuffling will do! Any recommendations? Seen a Draper one on the 'Net.
Any further tips and guidance from anyone who has done similar before?
FWIW the bearing kit costs £20 delivered, and if it squeezes some
more life out of the old beast I'd be happy. I probably need the
heater element out of the rear half (have unplugged it and unscrewed
the nut, tapped it, but it still won't move). Thermostat removal was a
relative breeze.

Thanks in advance!
James

On our old Zanussi, also with a plastic 2-half tub, the element is supported
near its "front" end (i.e. the bit that is inserted farthest into the tub)
by a little bracket inside the tub (possibly on the front half - can't
remember). The element has to slide through this bracket and is quite a
tight fit. I guess if it is pretty scaled up it would be difficult to do
this - fortunately we have a water softener so hardly any scale on mine.

Good luck!

Simon.