Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Need suggestions for a light to drive backwards

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:41:32 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus18262 wrote:
I had several really bad experiences with driving backwards, with a
trailer, in low to no light conditions or in the rain. (one was when
picking up thet Bliss punch). It is a big hazard and it is ****ing
frustrating.

So, I want to know what you would recommend for a source of light that
is practical to use. A handheld spotlight, something that can be
mounted on roof temporarily, etc.

Interesting problem. We used to have a 15 passenger van, which had a
massive back door with a small window up too high to see any obstructions
behind. I got a B&W camera, and rigged a tiny first-surface mirror at
45 degrees, so the camera saw what you'd see in a rear-view mirror (ie.
the horizontal reversed). I got a cheap "beach TV" and rigged a voltage
regulator so it could run off 12 V from the accessory jack. But, I
still couldn't see what was back there at night, and the "back-up
lights" didn't throw much light down at all. I mounted some fog lights
in back, mostly pointed down to light up the ground in that big blind
spot. This pretty much worked, where the lights converged in the middle
you could see pretty clearly. I don't know if you need the TV setup,
but there are a variety of lights that can be bought at the auto parts
stores. The really big ones would blow fuses on your back-up light
circuits, so they might need temporary wiring and a cigarett lighter plug.

Jon

Or run them off a battery on the trailer with the BU circuit just
triggering the relay. Or get one of those remote control units sold
for wiring driving lights without putting wires through the fire-wall
and turn the lights off and on with that.
Use the battery on the trailer for your breakaway box too.