Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Need suggestions for a light to drive backwards

According to Jon Elson :

Ignoramus18262 wrote:
I had several really bad experiences with driving backwards, with a
trailer, in low to no light conditions or in the rain. (one was when
picking up thet Bliss punch). It is a big hazard and it is ****ing
frustrating.

So, I want to know what you would recommend for a source of light that
is practical to use. A handheld spotlight, something that can be
mounted on roof temporarily, etc.

Interesting problem. We used to have a 15 passenger van, which had a
massive back door with a small window up too high to see any obstructions
behind. I got a B&W camera, and rigged a tiny first-surface mirror at
45 degrees, so the camera saw what you'd see in a rear-view mirror (ie.
the horizontal reversed).

If the mirror setup is too awkward, just point the camera out
the back, and reverse the wires to the horizontal deflection yoke, which
will display the image backwards on the screen.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564