Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BP horizontal attachment

That is logical - often done in cooler areas. How about silver solder.
The lower temp versions are just perfect.
Then if the joint gets hot due to heat sinking an arc the joint will
be solid for a higher duty cycle.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to Ned Simmons :

[ ... ]

I have a several of the AMP crimpers that DoN mentioned, and while
they do an excellent job, I wouldn't want to make too many
terminations in 10-12 wire with one. The design seems perfect for
causing a repetitive stress injury.

There are electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic ones using the same
crimp head if you are doing a lot of terminals at one sitting -- e.g.
production line work.

I even saw one which was battery powered hydraulic on eBay
recently -- Bundy, but with the AMP crimp head for the 10-12 ga
terminals.

I use the smaller ones for D-sub
pins and CPC connectors quite a lot, and even they are a bit awkward.

I've had no problems with any of the smaller ones -- but then I
don't sit all day crimping terminals.

And for the larger terminals -- 8 through 2 Ga, and 1/0 through
4/0 -- I have an electrically powered hydraulic system.

I had to attach two terminals to #6 stranded wire many years ago, in the
late 1960s. There wasn't space for a mechanical (sidebolt) terminal,
and I didn't have a crimper, so I bought the crimp terminals (which were
made of copper) and simply soldered them to the wire with a torch and
plumbers solder and flux, wiped the flux off with a paper towel, and
insulated the barrel with heavy heat-shrink tubing.

The design of the crimp terminals made a dandy solder-pot terminal, so
it was easy. I don't recall the details, but I probably pre-tinned the
wire and the socket, assembled them, and sweated them together.

Code still allowed solder then; don't know if code still allows solder.

Joe Gwinn