Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Colin Horsley Colin Horsley is offline

Default Software recovery

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old Seagate ST251 MFM drive that just croaked. While booting
up it made some horrendous "clacking" noises and now I get a drive
failure indication when booting up. It defaults and then I can boot
off a floppy and still get into C: (the first partition) The problem
and where my needed data is drive d and although the drive is there
doing a dir gets you a data error message. Scandisk can't touch it and
Norton says that the FAT is bad and only a low level format can
correct this. Well if I wanted to do a format I wouldn't be interested
in retrieving my data. The OS is DOS 6.2. Does anyone know of a good
utility that I can down load in DOS and that will work with DOS and
give me at least a prayer of getting my data back? And if its a free
utility all the better. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Try spinrite
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Colin