Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry Sjouke Burry is offline

Default Software recovery

wrote:
I have an old Seagate ST251 MFM drive that just croaked. While booting
up it made some horrendous "clacking" noises and now I get a drive
failure indication when booting up. It defaults and then I can boot
off a floppy and still get into C: (the first partition) The problem
and where my needed data is drive d and although the drive is there
doing a dir gets you a data error message. Scandisk can't touch it and
Norton says that the FAT is bad and only a low level format can
correct this. Well if I wanted to do a format I wouldn't be interested
in retrieving my data. The OS is DOS 6.2. Does anyone know of a good
utility that I can down load in DOS and that will work with DOS and
give me at least a prayer of getting my data back? And if its a free
utility all the better. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

If you have the OLD Norton for dos,the Norton Utilities 8.0 or
earlier, you might try to make a binary copy of the disk,
if memory plays no tricks on me disk edit is able to do this,
if the disk is readable at all.
It could be set to ignore all errors.
At my work we did this, and wrote a fortran program to search
for character blocks with the properties of source code.
Each fortran progam ended with: tabendcr.
We recovered about 95 % of the sourcecode on the disk.
We sometimes ended up with 10 copies of each program,
with a slightly different age/edit stage.
Fragmented diskdata will be useless, but luckily the disk
had recently been defragmented.