Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bennett Ed Bennett is offline

Default Trouble setting up new table saw

On Sep 27, 3:53 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:
I did. Before I posted. It was initially and remains my "opinion"
that it was not a flame fest.

You are free to believe whatever you like. I'd bet that Dan felt a
bit singed around the edges; at which point you questioned his ability
to make friends. Does that help put things in perspective?

I care not if he or you or anyone in this group shares my opinion.
That's what opinions are all about.

Which is why you keep repeating it over and over, right?

????? Derogatory term? What planet are you from?

Perhaps it's been a while since you've engaged in polite conversation.

Might, if that was what had happened. Who exactly called him an idot
or expressed that his position on the matter was because of ignorance?
And I don't thin an alignment tool was mentioned until long after his
problem was essentially solved to his satisfaction.

Apparently you didn't read the thread. Or maybe your news server
doesn't contain all the messages. For some reason I had trouble using
Google to read certain messages (the particular ones where swingman
started "ranting and raving"). I just found a different news server.

Responding as if threatened? LOL.

Yes, indeed. Did anybody ever say that your saw needed alignment?
Did anybody say it was incapable of doing precise work? Did anybody
criticize your work as sloppy? Did anybody even tell you that you
should align your saw? I don't recall anybody saying anything of the
sort. And yet, every message contains an anecdote defending the
quality of your woodworking and your practice of ignoring table saw
alignment completely (as if it was normal and that everyone should do
likewise). Why is that Frank?

All the above eloquent Ed, however, some may feel it is a waste of
time, and I believe you may be the only one here who has a vested
financial interest in having everyone believe that it is not a waste
of time.

Based on what Maxwell said, and numerous email messages received, I'd
have to say that this opinion has little if any merit.

That statement pretty much sums up who is intolerant of the opinions
of others.

Hmmm.... Perhaps you misunderstood me. What I was saying is that I'm
not alone in my opinion that proper alignment is important. You are
right; "some" feel that it's a waste of time. Obviously, this is your
position. But, since you don't actually know the current state of
your machine (aligned or misaligned) I don't understand how you can be
so confident in your assertion.

Think about
the logic of Dan's situation. This particular alignment is pretty
much a one time event. If it takes him a week to get it right (and it
only took one evening), then he can count on having accurate bevel
cuts forever on that saw. If he ignores it and "just makes
sawdust" (as you and swingman have so exasperatingly recommended),
then he will need to rework every single bevel cut he makes on that
saw in order to obtain tight joints. Now, in your honest opinion,
which is the bigger waste of time?

Sorry Frank, I missed your answer to the question. For Dan, which
option is the bigger waste of time? The logic is very simple and easy
to follow. Why do you avoid answering the question?

Made twelve ogive corner feet this morning, didn't rework a one. But
that's not the point. I don't care if he aligns it every week until
the end of time. That's his business. And those that don't and don't
consider it necessary have a perfect right to their opinion and to
express that opinion when a thread starts on the subject. If he,or you
don't believe that then just killfile the lot of us.

Perhaps I should explain why this anecdotal evidence is meaningless.
First of all, it doesn't speak to Dan's situation and the thread is
about Dan's desire to align his saw - not your ability to perform some
specific task without any regard for the alignment of your saw.
Second, I have absolutely no idea what level of quality you consider
adequate and what level would prompt you to re-work a joint. Third,
maybe you are post processing these "ogive feet" in such a way that
would be considered re-work by some but not by you (i.e. flattening
the tops or bottoms to correct for angular error on the miter).
Fourth, nobody can examine the evidence to know whether or not the
anecdote actually applies to the situation (i.e. maybe your "ogive
feet" can be cut all day on a misaligned saw without any
consequence). Fifth, by plain old dumb luck your saw might just be in
good alignment and you would never know how bad it could be if it
weren't. Sixth, the anecdote could be a complete fabrication of your
imagination specifically designed to address your point. Shall I
continue?

Here's the truth of what you say above. Dan has a right to maintain
his machinery any way he wants to and doesn't need to justify his
decisions to anybody else. You have a right to do the same. Both of
you are free to make recommendations to the other. Either of you can
turn down the other's recommendation for any reason. Neither of you
should feel compelled to defend your woodworking skills and abilities
as a result of having a recommendation rejected. In other words, you
don't need to keep posting anecdotes describing how you can do good
woodworking even though you choose to ignore the alignment of your
saw. OK? Can we all agree that Dan's desire to align his saw doesn't
automatically cast aspersions on your woodworking?

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner