Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

wrote:
On 28 Sep, 00:48, "clot" wrote:
wrote:
On 27 Sep, 23:14, Derek Geldard wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:49:39 -0700, wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I note that it's been announced today that incandescent
lightbulbs are to be phased out over the next couple of years:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7016020.stm

Isnt it nice to have our actions dictated by people with a less
than full understanding of the subject.

The English language is not sufficient to express my shear
undiluted loathing and total and absolute lack of respect for the
individual concerned.

Well, it's less than optimal, that's for sure. If CFLs were
actually better than incandescent lamps, consumers would already
have switched. The fact that they haven't indicates that despite
the propaganda, the shortcomings of CFLs are well known.

I make extensive use of CFLs in my own home, and have yet to find a
truly adequate replacement for incandescents. The CRIs are too low,
the switch-on time for spot-lamp replacements is too long, dimmable
versions are expensive and don't dim to the orange cast of colour
that I prefer in the late evening (I don't want daylight equivalent
at 11pm).

It's gesture politics of the worst kind.

Hmm, I stand accused of sitting on the fence here. I have had CFLs
in my homes (one house at a time,not several) since the early 80's
and have genuinely been satisfied with the reduction of my footprint
on the planet, (and financial savings which have been real). I have
just one filament bulb in the house (which is there purely as the
best place for it to reside until it expires). Interestingly, I
can't recall when it was purchased - it will be decades ago

You mean you have carried this bulb from house to house since the
80's??

No - we have lived in our present house for almost 25 years.