Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo[_2_] pogo[_2_] is offline

Default how'd you get free of the sporge ?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to pogo C-R-M
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I don't think that there was *anything* that was done by any of
us -- other than tricks to clean the list of articles to download on a
short-term basis so we could get to the real articles.

I would like to hear more about that! anything at all ... :-)

The trick is to examine the headers of several of the offending
articles, looking for things like "NNTP-Posting-Host: " being the same,
or some part of the "Message-ID: ", or some trailing part of the "Path: "
header. Once you find something which is common to all (or many) of the
offending articles, add that to your killfile. (This requires a
newsreader with a good killfile which can be targeted on something more
than just the "From: " header (Author). I think that Outlook Express is
a lost cause for serious killfiles. :-)

Then exit and re-enter the newsgroup and see whether that got
rid of all of the offending articles. If not, repeat with what is left,
until you come back clean.

If they are really working at spaming the newsgroup, you will
probably have to repeat this as they switch servers.

Or -- get a news account with someone (like the Newsguy which I
use) which prides themselves on killing spam. If things get bad, report
to their newsguy.general newsgroup, and they will add the necessary
information to "SpamHippo's" list of allowed food. :-)

Of course -- this only works while you are using that news
server.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Thanks for the info!