Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

On 2007-09-28 08:58:12 +0100, nafuk said:

On 27 Sep, 21:47, Lobster wrote:
I note that it's been announced today that incandescent lightbulbs are
to be phased out over the next couple of
years:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7016020.stm

I'm not unduly perturbed (as most of my home is fitted with CFLs anyway)
except that the kitchen and bathroom are fitted with low voltage halogen
downlighters.

Presumably these will go the same way as conventional lightbulbs, won't
they? If so, is there an alternative 'bulb' I'll be able to use, or
will I need to replace the fittings? (and therefore my ceilings :-( )

David

Something has to be done, unless you do not believe in climate change,
or that the tons of particulates and gases we pour into the
environment have no effect on health. Australia has already banned old
style light bulbs.

This is certainly not "the thing"

There is no need to save energy anyway. Heat energy from light
bulbs is distributed into the building, not wasted.

The energy supply issue can be dealt with via nuclear generation.

For me, the change to CFLs is not an inconvenience at all compared to
that of people in pourer countries who are experiencing drought and or
flooding which is destroying there food sources and starving them.

It is an inconvenience for me because CFLs are not fit for the
advertised purpose and I won't use them in the house.

If climate change is going to happen, it is going to happen as it has
many times before. The solution is to deal with the consequences
rather than playing King Knut.

Are
people really saying they would rather be able to dim a light than
help stabalise the climate and possibly save some lives?

Absolutely, because your premise is emotional bull****.

As for having outside lights on at night, why?. Answer, because they
are cheap and available.

Answer, because I want them.

Turn them off and check out the stars.

Pointless unless I go to the southern hemisphere.