Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:04:54 +0100 someone who may be "Kroma"
wrote this:-

But I do try to help the environment... I
have it dimmed to around 10% so it uses only 10W most of the time.

You appear to be assuming a linear relationship between light output
and input power. This is far from the case with GLS lamps.

Apart
from my bulbs on timed switches (which are there for security reasons),

Time switches generally work fine with low energy lamps. The
exceptions generally involve some electronic time switches which can
suffer a variety of failures (including a track on the PCB burning
out due to being too thin, believe it or not).

halogens (which were in place when I bought the property) and dimmers I do
have several low energy bulbs.

Variable light levels can be achieved with a variety of fittings
which are switched on as necessary. There are also now dimmable
energy saving lamps, though the best known model only has four
steps.

It is possible to make dimmable fluorescent lamps by separating the
control gear from the tubes. One can see this with larger fittings,
but this has been difficult to reproduce with a small lamp that has
the control gear and tube integrated in one unit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh