Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

On 2007-09-28, John Rumm wrote:

Kroma wrote:

I too have some halogen lights in bedrooms and kitchen. They don't appear
to be the type talked about in the news so I'm assuming (hoping) that
they'll live on. If anybody has any news to the contrary, post it on here
and I'll start stocking up!

Remember that policy decisions like this must always follow the law of
unintended consequences. So if you can't get a 100W bulb, but you can
get a set of 4 50W downlighters, then guess what people will use....

What else will they ban? Car headlamp bulbs, capsule lamps, oven lamps?
How many of those can be imaginatively reused?

Plus, if there's demand for "banned" filament bulbs, and there will be, someone
will start to satisfy it. Well, not "someone". The Chinese.

or order lightbulbs online from countries with less dim legislation.

Quite.

Perhaps HMG should switch off the floodlighting of the HoC and turn their
attention to all the office buildings lit throughout the night?

We could have new civil servants (job creation) along the lines of ARP
wardens going round saying "Put that light out".

Sid :-)