Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] support@premieridi.com is offline

Default Granite tile over steel surface, Tile Gurus please help.

On Sep 27, 9:57 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
I'm planing on applying 12" X 12" granite tiles to the front surfaces
of a steel fireplace insert.
It has bee suggested I use mesh attached to the sheet metal with
screws and use mastic. The person who suggested this said the trick
wasn't getting them to stick, the trick was getting them to stick for
20 years, and I agree. I'd prefer not to have to deal with the added
thickness of the mesh. I had a thought; perf the sheet metal with a
drill to give the the mastic something to grip. Any thoughts on this

Hi Eric,
I am not sure of the type insert you have but I think I have an idea
of
how it is inserted into your wall. With that in mind, you should have
your wooden mantel on each side & top.

Have you considered attaching a solid surface over the face of the
unit &
wall such as durrock then glue your tiles to this. That way you could
attach
the durrock onto the wall around the insert allowing it to cover the
metal
of the insert & butting it to the wood mantel on each side.

I do not think I would drill holes in the insert or add screws. It
could lead
to leakage of heat and/or smoke, not to mention the warranty on the
insert
if that applies.

Hope that helps.
Abart