Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Scott is offline

Default Deck Cleaning Options

I pressure washed a sample area of my 3-year old "grayed" cedar deck. It looks
like it'll be too easy to damage the wood. After my previous post about pressure
washing, I heard some excellent ideas. Now after more research, I've narrowed my
choices to:

1. Rent a good power sander, sand off the gray film, and re-stain.

2. Use DEFY wood care products to clean, brighten, and re-stain (Cedar Tone).
Lots of labor.

Any thoughts on which would be the most effective?

Note: A year and a half ago, I had the deck cleaned by a pro, and then I stained
with Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar color). After one year, the deck floor and top rails
grayed badly. The verticals look good as new.

I love my deck and the natural cedar color.

Thanks!
Scott