Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Using a sponge to "sand" mudding?

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I can see wet sponging being able to smooth out bumps and lumps in bad
drywall mud jobs but I fail to see how it would flatten the mud so that it
has a slight taper to the paper surface and create a level surface that
will not show through the paint finish. Basically, I don't see a wet sponge
having the control of a large flat sanding pad when finishing a drywall
seam or screw dimples. This is my personal opinion, others may differ.

I would have agreed with you, till I saw it done, in the office I was
working in at the time. They added insulation board and rock to uninsulated
outside walls. They rocked and mudded without putting a layer of dust
everywhere, with sponge guy coming around about a half hour after the
mud-knife guy. I was damn impressed and told them so. (My drywall skills
suck, even having grown up in construction business. I've seen acres of rock
go up and get mudded, step by step. The mind knows the process, but the
hands stayed dumb.) These guys claimed the mud was nothing special, but they
obviously had a LOT of practice. They were fast.

aem sends...