Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Motor wiring help

According to :

[ ... ]

I also just noticed that the motor doesn't have a notch or keyway on
the shaft.

If you're sliding rubber tubing onto it -- why would you *need*
the keyway? You are better off without, I would think.

I think it might have been used with a coupler to direct
drive. Can I just notch the shaft for a pulley?

Sure -- you'll want a conventional milling cutter (looks like a
thick saw blade about 4" in diameter), and the arbor to drive it in your
mill. Get one the same thickness as the desired width of the keyway,
and cut the depth half of the width of the keyway for most keys. You
*can* use a tiny two-flute end mill, but those are easy to break if you
feed too fast. For the 4" mill, crank down to as slow as your mill will
run -- unless you have a horizontal mill which will run even slower for
six, eight, or ten inch diameter cutters. :-)

This is why I hate
buying used stuff... You always have to adapt and it costs as much as
something new in the end.

That's why (or at least, we) you have a shop full of tools -- so
you/we *can* adapt the free stuff. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564