Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Using a sponge to "sand" mudding?

"Dugie" wrote in
:

Hi,

What is the best way to use a sponge and water to finish mudding
(compound in a gallon container), rather than using sand paper?
- Best type of sponge, size, etc.

They are cheap. Get a few. Often one side one grit and the other another.
Be sure to get one that has a 45 angle on one edge.

- Motion to use

All kinds including very light pressure. Circles work good too.

- How damp the sponge

I never wet it to tell you the truth. Maybe I should.

- anything else

PRIME all fixed areas! If you don't you will have dull spots where the
mud is underneath - guaranteed.

Keep the sponge flat on it's face.

Let the mud fully dry. It will shrink and you have to redo the dimples.

I'm filling many small nail holes, and some dents about 2-3" in area
and about 1/8" deep, in drywall on a wall, prep to painting.

Thanks.
Dugie