Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Using a sponge to "sand" mudding?

I can see wet sponging being able to smooth out bumps and lumps in bad
drywall mud jobs but I fail to see how it would flatten the mud so that it
has a slight taper to the paper surface and create a level surface that will
not show through the paint finish. Basically, I don't see a wet sponge
having the control of a large flat sanding pad when finishing a drywall seam
or screw dimples. This is my personal opinion, others may differ.

"Dugie" wrote in message
Hi,

What is the best way to use a sponge and water to finish mudding (compound
in a gallon container), rather than using sand paper?
- Best type of sponge, size, etc.
- Motion to use
- How damp the sponge
- anything else

I'm filling many small nail holes, and some dents about 2-3" in area and
about 1/8" deep, in drywall on a wall, prep to painting.

Thanks.
Dugie