Posted to alt.home.repair
Plague Boy Plague Boy is offline

Default Outlet for cold bathroom

N8N wrote:

I want new electric service, new panel, and removal of ALL the
K&T and old BX wiring in the house. Then I can INSULATE (yay!).

Just curious, why do you feel it necessary to remove the BX?

1. It's 50 years old and the insulation seems crumbly.

2. The whole house needs remodeling. If I have to open up walls,
etc, I want to do it before I remodel, plus it is probably easier
to pull wires *before* I insulate.

3. The current BX has no ground wire. Although the ground on the
armor seems to work OK on some outlets, others have no available
ground. It seems possible that the BX is spliced into the K&T,
which is spliced into the BX down in the basement, where they
SHEETROCKED OVER the boxes they used for the connections.

As an aside, I'm thinking of using armored cable for the rewire,
rather than Romex. Any thoughts, anybody? I've lived here 40
years, I may be here another 40- I'm not "flipping" this house g.

40 years of electrical starvation may explain why I want lots of
power.