Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default where to get copper spring for P&W comparator

William Noble wrote:
I posted a while back about this P&W comparator I had picked up - a
mechanical device with plus and minus 3 thousandths full scale, and someone
said that the usual failure is the copper spring (a strip of spring copper)
that connects to the pointer - well, they were right, it's broken - is there
an inexpensive source for a replacement? make one? or just use thin
stailess fishing leader?

That was me.

Any metal shim material, non-magnetic. I used to have some copper ones
that I had wire EDM'd back when I used to repair them. Symmetry is
important, as the scale readings will be VERY difficult to calibrate
from plus to minus, if the strip is not symmetrical. Plus or minus .010
or less from center hole to each end hole should be good enough.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)