Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo[_2_] pogo[_2_] is offline

Default Loctite Disolver ?

"Gerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 27, 6:56 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" fired this volley
:

Heat to about 150 deg C and most Loctite type sealers break down

It should be mentioned that it doesn't just "go away" at that
temperature. It starts to soften, then decompose. Remove the locked
item as SOON as the material softens.

If you wait too long, the decomposition products become hard, and will
"re-glue" the lock.

I use replacable tips on several pyrotechnic punches and presses. They
wear fast, and machining new press pins is labor intensive. Tips take
but a few minutes to make.

I LocTite them in place (med-strength blue). When time to replace, I
chuck up the main pin, clamp a pair of locking pliers on the tip, then
heat with a torch until it moves. I then turn the chuck to briskly
unscrew the tip before the mass cools or the loctite decomposes
completely. Clean the residues with methylene chloride, or a long soak
in acetone followed by brushing.

LLoyd

For what it's worth, when I was doing gunsmith work, I used a
soldering iron placed on the head of Loctited screws to heat them
enough for the Loctite to break down. Worked every time for me without
overheating the surrounding material. Takes a decent size iron,
though, not one of the tiny pencils

This seems like my best bet. I should have mentioned that the gear I removed
is plastic on an aluminum bushing. I was thinking of creating an
after-market product that would require this gear to be removed, but now I
think I need a different solution. I'm going to try the soldering iron
approach on the 2nd motor, though - seems like it has a chance !

Thanks to *everyone* that replied to this !
JCDeen