Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Motor wiring help

And I was thinking that you were just gonna try out a small tumbler to try
out the process.
One thing that's in the 15-18 pound load range is a washing machine,
although there are a lot of other things going on in a washing machine,
where a 1/30 HP motor definitely wouldn't be adequate.

I generally have some fractional HP motors around for various projects, and
I'd consider a 1/4 HP motor to be fairly reasonable size and a reliable
power source.
I'm no engineer and the TLAR will usually suffice for me (that looks about
right).

I find used fractional HP motors at flea markets and garage sales for about
$5, and I'll feel kinda fortunate to find a Dayton or other similar-quality
motor, rather than some motor that was saved from a worn out appliance, as
those often have strange mountings, fully ventilated cases where lots of
debris can get in, and they sometimes need a capacitor too.

A smaller motor is probably adequate, particularly if a belt is used to slow
down the tumbler. I haven't built a tumbler, so I don't know what speed
you're looking for.
My guess would be about 60 RPM, and slow speeds like that indicate a
gearmotor or gearhead motor with a speed reduction gearbox attached.
Gearmotors generally have lots of power for their size, and the output shaft
speed is a fraction of the motor's speed, depending upon the gear ratio.. 20
to 1, 60 to 1 etc.

I don't know where you've looked, but one good source that numerous RCM
participants rely on is Surplus Center
http://www.surpluscenter.com/

If you're wanting to get started right away, an electric drill with variable
speed might get you started, to determine the approximate speed will work
well for what you want to accomplish.
The cheap drill press would probably provide numerous advantages. You'll be
able to change speeds (somewhat limited) and lots of extra parts, some that
might be valuable in completing the tumbler project. The drill press might
also provide a more versatile power source, if you want to try different
sized drums.
I've seen the small units for about $50 locally, and considered buying one
just to have it for improvising a project quickly.
The motor's may be of somewhat questionable quality, but would probably be
OK as long as they have good ventilation.

For any previously unproven power application, it would probably be wise to
operate a system undergoing testing nly while you're present, and not leave
an unproven setup operate unattended.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the help... Sounds like maybe this one is going to go
back. I think it was originally a fan motor, and it may in fact need
that fan to move air over it.

Let me ask this... What would be a good motor to run what is basically
a rock tumbler that's going to have a vessel to hold about 15-18
pounds of stuff? I noticed a professional one was using a motor that
was 1725 RPM and only 1/30 HP I think. I don't want to blow $200 on a
motor because this just isn't worth it. The device will probably run
about max 3 hours at a time. I was also thinking about getting a cheap
drill press and using the motor out of that... Those already come with
all the wiring and capacitor, but I was worried about the duty cycle.