Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default stuck set screw

cc wrote:
I am sure this has a simple answer

Was tuning up my band saw and adjusting motor pulley, which uses a set
screw. Guess I turned it too tight, rounded off the allen wrench and
now it just turns. It is a metric 3.0 wrench. I also assum the set
screw itself is probably also damaged.

My only solution I see is to eposy the wrnech to the set screw and
then replace both when I get it loose, but don't know if you can buy
individual allen wrenches..

any helpful suggestions?

Highly unlikely you'll find any epoxy that will have more shear strength
than required to break the set screw loose.

If you rounded over the wrench, you can hope it was because it was a
cheap one and the screw head, being harder is basically intact. I agree
it probably was 1/8", not metric and so the wrench being undersized
slightly contributed to the problem.

My suggested solution is to get a good quality wrench instead, use a lot
of penetrating oil to help first, then apply some heat to the outside of
the boss holding the screw to expand it a little, then it should pop loose.