Posted to uk.d-i-y
None None is offline

Default Replacing Rising Main?

On 27 Sep, 18:13, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:49, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:34, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:08, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 16:17, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 27 Sep, 00:16, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:

snip

Hi clot,
Yeah I didnt actually check your name either, lol. Anyway, would
an air scour involve much disruption to the road? Our neighbours
are very closely all around us too, so I don't really think that
there would be much difference in our chlorine content tbh. The
water depot doesn't accept that we have a problem, saying our
test results back in June were 'clear.' The chlorine tested
very, very low, and that was no surprise as you can never smell
or taste it really.

Would it even be possible to air scour our individual service
pipe though?

Hi,

I honestly don't know I'm afraid. Might be time to do some
googling for "air scour"/ plumbing contractors and the like.
I've just been googling for chlorine guidelines in E&W and could
not find anything - must admit I didn't go into every crevice.
It does not appear that the chlorine issue has not moved on
since I was involved in the potable supplies side of things.

I seem to remember that we set a standard of either 0.4 or 0.6
mg/l leaving the treatment works and from samples in customers'
taps would expect a concentration of 0.1 mg/l as a minimum. At
the level you are quoting, I would be concerned about the
potential for bacterial growth. What did the water dept. say
about 0.02? Do they have internal target minima? I would be
leaning on Dublin's water dept. with that sort of concentration.

They dismissed my notion of introducing a chlorine booster in the
area, didn't even comment on it really. We have no water votes or
laws here it seems. It depends where you live I suppose. It seems
I got spectacularly unlucky on this one. What is strange is that
the quality can be good, but only after I turn off the outside
stopcock, pull out the washing machine hose in the garden shed, go
back out front and open the stopcock again.

Can you explain this bit in more detail? The washing machine is in
the shed - how is it fed? Length and diameter of pipe? Do you mean
the flexible cold supply hose? How often is this used and any other
details that seem relevant.

The washing machine is fed from the mains, is the last point of use
for the water downstairs, and is used at least once a day. It was
only installed there back in February, and we were having the same
problems beforehand. Yes, Im talking about a flexible cold supply
hose attached to the main line.

Back in December, I was replacing the old washing machine, and a
load of dark crud came out of the inlet cold pipe feed to it. It
was then that I began flushing out this pipe (originally into the
kitchen sink, when it was located beside it), now I flush it out
into the flower bed in the garden.

It helps to do this more when the water pressure is at its highest,
late at night. I suppose this doesn't make much sense in the grand
scheme of things though!

Good, you've eliminated that as an issue! I just wondered whether
this was a significant deadleg that could be a cause of the problem.
It's frequency of use seems to eliminate it as well. I can
appreciate why you get the best flushing effect when the pressure is
high - that makes sense. You will be able to slough off a greater
amount of film that may be developing in both the main and service
pipe.

I guess the neighbours have got used to your midnight capers in the
garden!

Any opinion on whether I should go the 'disinfecting of service pipe
route?' It seems as if it is possible to do this, hard work, but not
expensive. With the plentiful amount of houses around the
neighbourhood and the road, the main surely gets enough flow to clean
it pretty well.

You are only going to get temporary relief, I'm afraid. It might attract
the interest of the Water Dept., if they thought that backsyphonage from
your activities into the main might affect the quality of water to your
neighbours! Could be double edged - "we'll have to do something about
his supply before this gets out of hand" sort of thing and also a stern
warning not to affect the quality of water in their main! Have you
googled plumbers/ water engineering contractors re air scour. I really
think that would be the way to go if possible. Could be a solution for
several years - but not permanent.

But if the neighbours arent experiencing these problems(and our
neighbours to our left have their stopcock right beside ours!) surely
either fully disinfecting the pipe, or replacing it would have a good
effect?