Posted to uk.d-i-y
None None is offline

Default Replacing Rising Main?

On 27 Sep, 13:57, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 27 Sep, 13:18, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

roups.com...

On 27 Sep, 11:05, wrote:
On 27 Sep,
None wrote:

By rising main I mean the supply pipe from the outside stopcock
(driveway) to the attic tank and kitchen sink. It is from a public
mains supply, and the neighbours do not have this problem. When I
flush this pipe out through the back of the house at the highest
pressure possible, the water loses the 'sliminess.' There isn't much
of a chlorine residual, it was tested very low (0.02 mg/l or
something), so that has probably contributed.

I just find it strange that when I do this, that the quality
improves
so much for a few days, then goes back to its previous state.

If you could isolate the pipe at the stopcock and fill it with a
chlorine
solution for a couple of hours, then thoroughly flush the pipe it
could
improve matters. What type of pipe is it, and who owns the stopcock?
Is
it of
a WRC approved type, and could it be changed as well?

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

It seems to be black plastic LDPE type, I think, and measures 3/4 in.
Not sure what WRC approved means, sorry. We own the stopcock. How
could we enter the chlorine solution without breaking into the pipe?
It would be great to get this done with as little disruption as
possible.

You have LDPE enter the house from the street. I assume a stop cock in
the
garden or pavement. Inside the house another stop cock. From this copper
pipe to the tank, cold kitchen tap, etc.

Disconnect the pipe after the stopcock into the house. Drain the water.
Cap
up the pipe that runs into the house. From the tank pour the solution
down
the pipe. Leave and let the solution do its stuff.

The pipe from the underground stopcock to the house stopcock. You may be
able to push a tube down this to the street stopcock. Blow down the tube
and
the water comes out of the pipe back up around the pipe; well most of it.
Again pour down solution. leave. Connect everything back up after and
flush
through, If it re-emerges then contact the water people as it is on their
side.

My first reply didnt seem to go through. Basically two things
Doctor... firstly do you know what solution would be safe and
effective?

See Kamco, they would make the appropriate liquid.

And also regarding the tube, would it have to long enough
to actually reach the pavment stopcock from the kitchen??

I would think so, or as far down as you can get. You have to get the water
out, or most of it, and then pour down the liquid.

The stopcock in the kitchen is tricky to access, being behind the
utensil drawers, that could be a pain...

How much solution (presumably chlorine tabs) would need to be poured
down? I mean the pipe length from kitchen to pavement must be about
25-30 feet.

Oh and finally, how long should I let the disinfectant 'do its stuff'
in such a lengthy set of pipe runs? Cheers.