Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Spray water on compressor to raise efficiency?

"BoyntonStu" wrote

What about a recirculating fountain to spay the coils in my ac
condenser for 90+ temp days.

I pumped rainwater water up from a plastic 55 gallon drum through
a horizontal tube with some holes over the coil of a window AC.

How much 'gain' in efficiency would result?

.... 20% in my experiments and 22% in Y. Goswami's U. Florida central air
experiments. He built a swamp cooler around the AC coil, so the water
never touched it. I avoided mineral buildup by using rainwater, with
a $10 10 W fountain pump in a plastic 55 gallon drum below the AC.
Limestone in the drum helps avoid acid rain problems.

Nick