Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Power cable ...

Trevor Wilson wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:
I know that there is always furious debate on the audio groups about this,
but in all the years that I have been mending this stuff, I have never
actually been faced directly with it ...

Yesterday, a boat-anchor Yammy turned up from one of the high-end dealers
that I do work for, and with it was a power cable that the owner wants
fitting in place of the one that Yamaha saw fit to put on when they designed
it. This cable comprises a couple of metres of (20A?) three core rubber
power cable (the sort of stuff that you would use as the flexible 'tail' to
go from a wall plate to a storage heater, or maybe a hot water immersion
heater) plus a very ordinary UK 13A power plug on one end, and a reasonable
quality IEC straight plug on the other. The cost of this lead ? 100 UKP.
That's about $190 at the current exchange rate !! And he now wants to pay
the store to get me to fit it.

**Personally, I won't do those jobs, UNLESS the cable is an approved
type. Examine the cable and I'll bet you won't find any of the relevant
electrical authority markings. It has probably not been tested nor
approved. Some of the leads I've exmamined barely have insulation
suitable for 12 Volts, let alone 240VAC. As for your earth question,
yes, I'd earth it.

Good point.

To attach an unapproved cable would strictly be illegal. You could be held liable
for any consequences too.

Graham