Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default Loctite Disolver ?

In article ,
"Andrew Mawson" wrote:

"pogo" wrote in message
I just realized this is a good post for this group!

Today I almost destroyed a nice stepper motor trying to remove a

gear - only
to realize that it had some form of Loctite on it because I noticed

a pink
powder like residue on the shaft and the bore of the gear. Is there

Loctite Disolver sort of solution out there ?

Thanks !
JCD

Heat to about 150 deg C and most Loctite type sealers break down

AWEM

I've had good results using fingernail polish remover and time when it
wasn't practical to use heat.

For some unknown, and possibly unknowable, reason the folks who assemble
Quickie wheelchairs thread lock _everything_, even screws with nylon
locking nuts on them. Worse, they'll put 1/4-28 steel socket head screws
into blind holes countersunk in aluminum and thread lock those! These
are almost always Allen head on seating, wheel lock, and footrest
assemblies. We've ground or drilled the heads off more than a few dozen
of those

The chairs' overall quality is about the best in the business, but
they're hell to repair sometimes. What that method will do to an Allen
wrench _and/or_ the bolt heads shouldn't happen to a rabid Satanist
chipmunk with gonorrhea.

Our manufacturer rep tells the story of being sent out on a rush to demo
their "growable" seating system. Just remove a few bolts and screws and
slide it apart or together to change width and depth then bolt it back
together.

Only problem was: the assemblers had thread locked all the screws and
bolts and the rep couldn't get them loose to demonstrate how "easy" they
would be to change.

Oops.