Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robbo[_2_] Robbo[_2_] is offline

Default Loctite Disolver ?

"pogo" wrote in message
I just realized this is a good post for this group!

Today I almost destroyed a nice stepper motor trying to remove a gear -
only
to realize that it had some form of Loctite on it because I noticed a pink
powder like residue on the shaft and the bore of the gear. Is there a
Loctite Disolver sort of solution out there ?

Thanks !
JCD

http://www.balisongcollector.com/threadLocking.html backs up Andrews heat
solution.

It also mentions Methlene Chloride. I think paint strippers contain
Methlene Chloride - but don't trust me - check it out first!

Some text from the above link:

"There are all sorts of myths about how to remove fasteners held by
thread-locking adhesives. Here's what it says on Loctite's own website:
The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed
with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a
standard [thread locking adhesive], 500F for high temperature [thread
locking adhesives]. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this
process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot.
Once apart, and cooled, use methylene chloride (Chisel #79040) to remove
cured excess material. Always wipe down the fasteners with clean up solvent
to remove the wax film that Chisel #79040 leaves on the surface. (350F =
177C and 500F = 260C.)

Chisel #79040 is a solvent product that Loctite sells specifically for
removing their thread locking adhesives. It's a somewhat hazardous material
and I've never seen it offered for retail, consumer sales. Methylene
chloride, the major active ingredient in Chisel #79040, is available for
retail purchase at automotive supply, painting, and home center stores. It's
a nasty solvent chemical, so be careful using it. Follow all the labeled
cautions and directions. Wear eye protection that completely seals around
your eyes; common glasses aren't good enough because the chemical and splash
around the sides and this stuff can permanently blind you if it gets in your
eyes; please take no chances on this (my website is not yet available in
Braille). Wear gloves. And work outdoors or in some other well-ventilated
area. Be especially careful with methylene chloride on any balisong that has
exotic insert materials or that has painted or coated handles. Even blade
coatings could be attacked by this stuff. Methylene chloride is a nasty,
powerful solvent; please be very careful with it.
"