Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

wrote:
On Sep 25, 9:03 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Can't tell you which machine is best, but be aware that 1/4" AL will take
some serious electric circuit. I ran 50 amp 220 to mine and this is not
large enough. I'll be moving my Lincoln stick/TIG machine to a 100 amp
circuit.

Karl

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have a 50 amp service as well.

Oh, you're sunk! I have a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300, and it
can just barely weld 1/4 Al, acording to the manual - I've never
tried anything that big (yet). You will probably need Helium
gas to get higher heat, too. And, a 70 A minimum feed for just
the welder, and 90-100 preferable.

Jon