Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default replacing a thermost without ability to turn off electricity

On Sep 26, 5:35 am, wrote:
I would like to replace my thermostat in my apartment with a digital
programmable thermostat.
I don't have access to turn off the electricity to my HVAC system and
I don't want to involve the landlord (I can always change back the
thermostat when I leave).
Do most thermostats run off of a 120v power control? Is there any safe
way to replace the thermostat without being able to cut electricity to
the HVAC?
Thanks

People replying here are making a lot of assumptions about what and
how that thermostat controls your heating and AC.
Also your questions indicates very little, if any, knowledge of
electricity. Do you even have or know how to use a test voltmeter?
There have been enough horror stories about people trying to hook up
low voltage programmable thermostats directly to 230 volt lines; they
burn up and are not returnable! Also line voltage thermostats to low
voltage control circuits, they usually don't work! Had a son in law
who tried that! he also manged to burn out the motor on his aire
xchanger; some people and electrcity don't mix.
If something doesn't work or burns out, even if thermostat seems to
work OK during cooling but does not during heating season an expert
will have to be called in anyway. Please make sure you know what you
are doing, also safety!