Posted to rec.woodworking
Ronald[_2_] Ronald[_2_] is offline

Default McFeely's

This deserves a bit of clarification however.

While we do import fasteners, they're made to our specifications. We
don't just buy what's available and trust me, there is a lot of
questionable stuff available to buy.

Also, it's important to note that we still do business with North
American distributors. The industry changed on us and many of our
manufacturing partners became import/export brokers after it became
impossible for them to compete otherwise. I was there during the great
change-over (as we like to refer to it) and it wasn't something for
which we lobbied. We accepted it only after it became clear that the
fasteners being brought over would meet our specifications. I know how
seriously Jim Ray took the change as I was there to watch him write
the letter to our customers.

As an aside, as a part of our standard testing process, we check for
torsional strength and the quality of "bit fit". That's not to say
that we never make a mistake but we're not about to accept inferior
products just because they're cheaper. It goes against who we are. Our
imported screws match and even exceed the torsional strength of our
previous North American-made product.

Back on topic, when our manufacturing partners changed to import/
export brokers, we lowered our prices. Why? We felt that a cost
reduction should be passed on to our customers. We did that even
though the quality was equivalent.

Trust me, there's no desire to get rid of what makes us special. Yes,
we're part of the Grainger family but we'll never lose focus of those
responsible for our success. And I'm pleased to say there's been no
effort to make us do so. Our goals are all related to improving our
service, not lowering it.

And we have you all to hold our feet to the fire. If we fail you, call
me. My contact info is in my profile and my #1 professional goal is to
make sure we don't let you down.

Always yours,

Ron

On Sep 23, 9:17 am, Jack Stein wrote:

Where do you thinkMcFeely'sgets them now?

--
Jackhttp://jbstein.com