Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Carbon fiber fabric for heat shield?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:56:16 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

I'm looking for something that will not transfer heat very well so
something can be brazed on it without significant heat loss. Would
carbon fiber stand up to a MAPP torch?

Hey Louis,

I would think the "fibers" will be OK, but the binder probably will
not unless it is special. I do know they make car intake manifolds
from carbon-fibre composition, so there must be some binder that
works.

Here in my shop, I have 5 or 6 firebricks for flatwork. For larger
stuff, like small boilers, setting as much of the part as possible in
a container of kitty-litter works good.

At work, we always used a piece of asbestos, either hard as in
Johns-Manville siding, or in blanket form that welders use, but that
was to keep any adjacent wood or wiring etc. from scorching or
catching fire.

Try a good plumbing or welding supply, and ask what the pro's use.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.