Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another bargain for the Aldi fans

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:55:57 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

SMB to a Linux server, or servers. TCP conns need to be 'kept alive'

NFS is probably better, but I loathe it.

Depends what you are doing. I've never had an issue so I presume that
any connections re-establish on their own which seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, many peoples' only or main experience of NFS
is one of the Linux implementations, which have never been up
there in quality and functionality compared with the commercial
unix implementations.

Actually, NFS is stateless and connectionless. That's one of the reasons
locking is so hard, and why caching is also problematical.

With the first NFS version, this was partly true. The locking
protocol wasn't stateless though. However, NFS has evolved over
20 years to the point where none of the above is true anymore.

Unfortunately, Linux has not benefitted so much because its
NFSv4 implementation is really poor, to the point where people
often disable it just to get NFS to work on Linux (falling back
to NFSv3).

--
Andrew Gabriel